Monday 10 August 2009

It All Began Here...

Another week has passed, although with a better conclusion this time - as the recruitments, being as interesting as they always are, didn't fail to satisfy. Half a score girls walk through the same tunnel we traversed two summers ago. The repeated sensations of dejavu were only justified then, even though it was my first time as an interviewer inside KB. Having missed out on the major chunk of the recruitment procedure last time around, I can unequivocally state that this is the first time I formally sat at the other end of a Watch Out interview.

7th August 2009: What one looks for in an interview cannot clearly be put into words. An abstract quantity albeit intangible, can be felt, though not explained. That being stated, its funny then to see a pattern in the way people retort. You place the same question to a number of persons separated spatially or by time, you will inevitably elicit the same responses! One such question turned the hour glass back two complete circles to my very own final interview in the RJB TV room.

Mid August 2007: I entered the room amidst a grim atmosphere, trying hard not to flash all thirty-two. I didn't want to portray myself as a very serious person also. All the same, I can openly admit today that calling the ambience a little unnerving would be a gross understatement. Some fifteen pairs of eyes stared at me intently as I composed myself. I identified but a few then, mainly from the intro-talk, among the many people I would come to know in the years to come. I remember vividly Lefty with a diary in hand (I'm pretty sure) and Khandu, who sported the kind of a look I would have called 'dashing' back then. Banga looked as innocent as he would ever. SriPri, Middah, Sarthak, GoGo, Bonda, Young-Sahith - everyone was there.

I believe it was Khandu who remarked about the disapparition of my spectacles. The questions which followed where not exactly what I'd have called banal; nevertheless I would be lying if I said that they were unexpected altogether! But then came a final question, after which I was asked to leave the room... It was a question which took me back three years, to the days when the mind cared not about anything significant and a time when thoughts meandered so randomly.

Sometime in 2004-05: Standard 9: The day was bright; the guys in their usual boisterous mood and the girls huddled away in their private discussions filled with frequent giggles. The spatial confines of a room which restricted their activities would never be able to incarcerate the human mind. As things stood, on many desks were already carved ambigrams of our names - such was the creativity and joblessness of those days of yore.

It was a free period, and afraid of letting any time go waste devoid of creativity, our minds drifted onto poesy. That was the day, in that very classroom, a friend - my namesake and I sat down to pen a poem; definitely not my first and perhaps not my best, but one which would inspire me to write more. Many more.

The brightness dissolved into the shadows... and there I was, again in KB, asking the same question I had been asked in in 2007. The answer - one which ought to have been my first blog post. One which I had started typing out way back in December 2007, only to give up time and again in favour of a more pressing topic. However, this interview interrogative, one of the less expected ones, finally brings forth the long overdue and heretofore unrecognized. "What is the most creative thing you have penned?"

At that time only one rhyme brimmed my head.

He will come to every being,
Yet he instils fear
With eyes glazed, unseeing;
An expression calm and clear.

He will come when the time is right
Like the grey clouds bringing rain;
Like the darkness swallowing light
The essence of being, he will drain.

When he’s here, we’ll know for sure
By his chilly, rattling breath;
He is Fear, yet so pure
He is here, here is Death…

The interview was then declared complete.

22 comments:

  1. Perhaps I had been wrong when I commented sth about your incarnation. May be you were just too busy in 'other' things to pay attention to your blog. But believe me buddy...you are ascending like whatsay(?)...
    one question though: Did WONA interviewed before KJ this time? If this is so....Murty where are you??(teeth grinding!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have penned lines of poetry in school pretty often, but I am sure they wouldn't have impressed Dela and co. enough to embrace me as the next big editor. Used to be extremely childish and useless. Your lines are more than decent, considering you wrote them on class 9.
    Nice post Kondy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all have reminiscences, but some do always stick out from the rest.

    I can proudly say, the awesome-est thing I have ever done is to write a cranky letter to my teacher, which eventually landed me in the Princi's office... And Voila, one day suspension!
    Messa awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Rahul,

    Thanks dude! But why the clenched teeth? Anyway, WONA won the race to KB but RJB remains KJ's bastion.

    @ MgAY,

    Poetry was my greatest hobby during school days, along with part-time sketching. As with all beginnings, this will remain special and loved forever. Thank you. And remember 'childish and useless' gives way to 'glorious and awesome'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Jetty,

    I'd have to read that letter and understand the mind (so to say) of a Jetty. I'd like to hear more about these 'reminiscences' which seem to be sticking out all too much lately.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A thoroughly enjoyable post (for a change??). I am also tempted to add that your poem was aeons better than a certain committee member's "On the wings of a butterfly"?

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Shreyas,

    For a change, eh? I'd have said your comment was replete with revilement... But then you have compared it to 'On the wings...' The mere comparison has sent me cartwheeling ecstatic. Something so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i wonder how u got into wona after that piece of poetry.honestly there is so much of awesomeness in u elsewhere but that poem sounds like the complete antithesis of wat wona demands.i now realise th\e awesomenes of saagar and co...one mistake cud be forgiven.no wonder the interview was declared complete.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Side-stepping poetry for a moment, how come there's not mention of the song you sang for us during your interview. I believe it was Aadat, albeit with mixed up lyrics.
    Come to think of it, where did Anirudh the once-singer go?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lefty da, that was Jetty. Quite a rendition, I must admit. While on the topic of the man himself, Kondy- you could do with a few lessons on poetry from 42.0. Seriously, who else could have rhymed 'bloom' with 'cocoon'?

    ReplyDelete
  11. The narrative is nothing less than brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ PSR,

    Mistakes. Antithesis. Forgiven?? It isn't all that bad da! WONA requires the same amount of creativity as any other group. PeeTeeVee da, one of the brilli-antest poets. And quintessential Wona.

    @ Lefty,

    Yeah, as Dela said, it must have been Jetty! Why didn't we hear about this before?! Anecdotes about the Jettyman are too awesome! But yes, I was a singer too back then. But never could I compete with such greats!

    @ Dela,

    I'd like to hear about this Jetty rendition! No wonder, he has started thinking about a future in music again.
    And yes, I'm taking classes from him whenever he frees himself of Thomso work.

    @ Anunaya,

    Thank you dude.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Class 9? Not bad at all! I wrote this really long poem for a friend in her journal in Class Ten. Much more lamer, though. The chorus went like "This is M2G from Honululu; writing a stupid little poem for you" or something.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really liked the poem da :D
    and yeah, as for the punt poet in me, you must have realised my awesomeness in the few poems i ve mailed you :P :P ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ Murty,

    Yes, I too am embarrassed when I think of certain somethings I have written in people's journals!

    What was the purpose of your poem though? Wanted to drive her away eh? ;)

    @ Raghav,

    Of course. We all know about Raghav, his poems and the lurid innuendo. Thanks btw.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @all,
    I agree that "On the wings of a butterfly" was too awesome for the world to handle. Nevertheless, I had read it for the first time in the LION too

    @dela,
    42.0 Wha tha fha?

    ReplyDelete
  17. @ Jetty,

    Your new doings have given rise to a flurry of appellations... '42.0', 'The Poet', 'West-coast Lover' etc...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh man that brings back memories! Can't believe those few lines written ages ago has impressed people :) dude, we gotta start collaborating again!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh man that brings back memories! Can't believe those few lines written ages ago has impressed people :) dude, we gotta start collaborating again!

    ReplyDelete
  20. P.S. You got the link to my blog wrong. You missed the T in cryptic :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. @ Prachi,
    Lol, I know! But Phoems are the highest form of literature... We don't want many poets. But we can have billions of interpreters.

    @ Ani,

    I know da... Those were classy days! We ought to write again, really. And I've rectified the link.

    ReplyDelete