Thursday 10 February 2011

Assimilation

I looked towards my wall proudly, having meticulously redecorated it. Apart from the mahogany shelf riveted to the wall, upon which rest a few relics of our inglorious past, and the luxurious bean bag which rests majestically in one corner of the room directly in front of my 50 inch television screen, the hall is fashionably empty. The French rug which I imported for a fortune covers the marble flooring which has become so passé. I love my small, comfortable dwelling.

It is strange that one should feel at home only after ostracizing oneself from one's own past, but that is how I feel today. I feel better after getting rid of those garish colours - those curtains and teak-wood sofas, and those Ravi Verma oil paintings! I used Berger's new 'Black' theme for interior decoration, and all things now blend into this elegant hue. I've even purchased a grey designer suit and satin black overcoat from the downtown Walmart to go with my silver Aston Martin.

I think I'll take the Metro now, to the Mall road to fetch some Budweiser for the party I'll be throwing later tonight. I know the party's going to be swell. We even have a dress code - Men in dark suits and women in evening gowns. This party will be the talk of the town - with all the Barbeque and the Italian spread. I have even unlocked the back door so that the men can smoke their cigars in the balcony outside, while enjoying the mighty steel and concrete horizon which modern India proudly boasts of.

It is the year 2130. I am proud of the fact that there are no longer divides and rifts between the people of the nation - we have all become global-citizens. There are no longer problems of language - we all speak English. There are no differences in food - no Rotis and no Dosas - we all enjoy a double-cheese Margherita and a big Mac washed down with some Sprite. We've renounced religion which has been the cause of so many conflicts in the past! No temple, no churches and no mosques - so no problem. All places of worship in this secular land have become museums - some of the finest in the world! And modern dermatologists have succeeded in making us all fair, so we can accentuate our new skins with the profoundest of black. No American is able to tell us apart from his countrymen now - to hell with racial discrimination!

I'm so glad we have taken a broader view of things since 2100, shedding our bourgeois demeanour for good! Our schools have begun teaching us about George Washington and Napoleon Bonaparte as much as they do about C.V. Raman and Rani Lakshmi Bai. Our kids are taught ballet in school, just like some western institutions have started teaching Indian Classical. I'm just glad there are no divides in this world. Everyone has become the same person.

9 comments:

  1. Your vision 2130 is a horror story!! I just hope that it was meant to be so. This could however be China 2130. If there is one thing that I love the best about our nation, it is the mind boggling diversity. Btw by 2130, I guess everyone will speak Mandarin!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prachi, thank god you explained the profundity of that 'Lol'! I'd have never got there :)

    Pinky, horror maybe... Let's hope it doesn't turn true. And I believe that by 2130, China would have the Moon for themselves.

    Shreyas, not when I typed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I initially thought you were fantasizing about your Schlum life!
    That atleast is probable, this is not!
    This is NOT going to happen, no way! It's too convenient...besides it would take an effort in unison by all...that can never happen in our country...thankfully in this context.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arey yaar!
    Yeh kya hai?

    I just hope that the the-then people don't end their lives before the advent of 2130. Your version of the future is quite a killer, literally.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prachi I,

    Fantasizing about Schlum?! Whatever makes you think my life at Schlum will be this dreadful! Anyway, if this is unison, I'd rather not have it.

    Anunaya,

    I'm glad I won't be around in 2130...

    ReplyDelete
  6. In a world where everybody speaks English and nobody is dark-skinned, wouldn't Rajnikanth feel left out?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rajinikanth became fair in Sivaji :D

    ReplyDelete