Friday 22 July 2011

Hasta La Vista

"I'll be back" - Arnold Schwarzenegger, 38th Governor of California (during his prime)
"Hasta La Vista, Baby" - Also Arnold Schwarzenegger (shortly thereafter)

________________________________________________________________________

It's not often that I read a blog-post which I think I could so easily have been the author of, but given the state of affairs over the last few months, it's not really that surprising: Any 'Goodbye' post I read seems to srike a chord.

I absolutely detest those lingering moments at the door, before you turn your back, knowing that you may never see a person ever again, but leaving prematurely is probably only worse. At least, this way, there is some closure.

It's really weird that in a world which we claim has grown so small, it is easier to lose touch with people than it was in the feudal age.Of course, people will argue that with the telephone and the internet, one can never be cut off from friends, but let me assure you that it is not the case. The aforementioned devices are but cheap virtual substitutes to something which is very real - much like the food-pills in SciFi world... Oh, one can only hope GoogleBelch doesn't become a reality!

The break-up with Roorkee is still fresh in my mind, and although it doesn't hurt now, it alarms me... When something stops hurting you, complacency sets in. And this is the beginning of The Drift. Soon, the person just becomes a red/green name on your GTalk friend-list, and you can never ping them again. But you won't delete them either. It's rather irritating, and I'm sure you've faced it too.

The only way out is never to say goodbye. There must be no permanence in absence, and one must endeavour to make this real: As Murty keeps saying, 'au revoir' is the way out.


________________________________________________________________________

In Tamil, it amazes me that there is really no word for 'Goodbye'. We simply say 'poitu varen' or the shorter, more colloquial 'varen' - which means 'I'll be back'. It simplifies things.

For nine long years, Bessi has played home to a bunch of people who had nowhere else to go and absolutely nothing else to do. This is not goodbye. There will be so much more 'nothingness', I assure you!

Na varen.

4 comments:

  1. "No goodbye is for ever.."

    I am overawed by what you said. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "My Shangri-La beneath the summer moon, I will return again. Like the dust that floats high in June when moving through Kashmir"

    Btw, What is GoogleBelch?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Anunaya, :) I'm going to stop saying 'goodbye' to people.

    @ Vikesh, Kashmir... Sigh.
    As for GoogleBelch, it's a secret Google project people don't know about yet. By using the vast data at its disposal, it aims at entering the food industry - with customized pills for all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realise the first time around that it was my blog post you were talking about. I am glad to hear that it did manage to strike some sort of a chord.

    It's funny really, but I don't think there is any word for goodbye in Malayalam as well. Poitu varen sounds just about right. Because no goodbye is forever.

    ReplyDelete