Friday 21 October 2011

Centurion


Runs are hard to come by, with the ball not really coming onto the bat. With boundaries not possible in this format of the game, batsmen are made to toil for each and every single they take; an insurmountable task if dashing between the wickets didn't seem so much fun! But there's a flip-side too - all this sprinting saps you of juice and Fatigue, the slayer of giants, pays you a visit. And then, the cramps - the scavenger which feeds on the dying. The moment your guard is lowered, you die.

So it is indeed a monumental moment when a batsman reaches his century - as it is a victory of human-will, nothing less. And as I'm doing precisely that today, I raise my bat. It has been a very satisfying knock.

I can hardly believe that I have lasted four years in this world where more blogs are indiscriminately discarded than created. Only a blogger, and an avid one at that, would probably understand how much this little space on the web means - something as special than a friend you share most things with, a brother who understands you completely, standing by you through good times and hell.

Since the probability of you being here for the first time is rather low, I suppose you've already witnessed my meaningless rants, random philosophy and sullen melancholy. Usually, this blog has just been a voice of dissatisfaction trying to break the run-of-the-mill days and chase one foolish dream after another. There have been moments of bliss, but as all moments of bliss should be, they have been ephemeral.

And since Life is all about running after a mirage, there will surely be more stories to tell. There will be victories and there will be losses, but they'll all be experiences. And hence the scoreboard will keep ticking.

Thank you, dear reader, for keeping me going all these years; without you, this space would be nothing more than a personal diary... and where's the fun in that? Anyway, here's hoping for a hundred more! My fingers are crossed.

14 comments:

  1. With the rate at which you conjure posts, centuries are going to become a common phenomenon for you in the time to come. I'm amazed how you manage to stay vella enough to write every now and then. I'v written none since our Roorkee days have ended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Well played mate.
    It'as been a pleasure watching you from the stands. Hope slum-rain doesn't interrupt the play.


    Reading your status(centurion,shortly) the other day, I thought why would Ruddha take a flight for Centurion to watch Aus-SA match in Centurion(the same day). Now i get it :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baba,
    :) Common phenomenon? No man... Blogger tells me that I'm on the decline already! But isn't the point of life 'staying vella'?

    Masticoon,
    Thanks man... Oh, you read that status, eh? I don't think anybody got it. But seriously, South Africa?! :O

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just trying to join the dots in schulmberger,south-africa, diamonds, you.
    Looks like, I missed a further join to nous there :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to see your rants being published someday in the near future. Until then, a 100 more here would keep me going!
    I am firmly of the opinion that people evolve and mature their writing style after reading others. In my case, your blogs have played an important role.

    Thank you for writing so beautifully, Kondy! Keep shining, and blogging of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good going, triangle head.

    Also, why does Anunaya have such inspiring and positive (not to mention poetic) things to say about people but can only manage "Suna ki tune DBMS paper mein kuch galti kiya" when he meets me?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bihari boy-wonder,

    I would like that very much too. And I'm glad if I've been of some help. Thanks for letting me reach 100!

    Emosunal Maddu,

    Danke. I understand your frustration though... Why, Anunaya? Why would you do such a thing?! Now VVR is spewing bile all over my blog and my wall.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Arey Bigness Babu,

    You have my best intentions at heart, and I'm sure you know that! You have no idea how proud I am of you, and I remember that eventful- and dare I say fateful- evening at RJB when I interviewed you, very vividly. Just pulling your leg, as always.

    And Kondy, go sleep under the cement mixer. Shoo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your century!! And unlike your other readers I am quite sure that you are more than capable of squeezing out time in order to post a few lines on your blog!! Schlum couldn't possibly keep you any busier than you sometimes were in college. :P
    Btw you have the distinction of being the only personal blog that I avidly follow. Great going!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pinky, I am seething with anger right now. You said the same thing about my blog a few months back. You cow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Punky,
    Thanks man! And yes, I hope I remain vella enough... Schlum won't have me busier than college, but it'll deprive me of internet in a way even Roorkee couldn't!
    Thanks again, and what have you to say to Anunaya? :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your blog has earned a few young followers too! It's really admirable that you 've kept at it for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cheers Kondrews. Just don't be one of those batsmen who in the heady rush of reaching a milestone immediately proceeds to throw his wicket away.

    Here's to a marathon innings.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nisha,
    That's very heartening :) With vellapanti slowly becoming a way of life, I wouldn't be surprised if some of you cross the mark sometime soon!

    mK,
    Merci beaucoup! I hope to keep it going... And hopefully, I won't score a boring 400 like Lara!

    ReplyDelete