Saturday 19 July 2008

Needles, Omiprazole and Related Sufferings...

Well, I admit to committing the crime... I confess - I ate that ice cream, blissfully unaware of the fact that orange-flavoured ice lollies may hospitalize you for a couple of weeks. Maybe it was a message; I was cribbing too much about how boring the holidays were getting and the tiresome lack of variety in what I was doing... But this wasn't quite the kind of change I had in mind.

With doctors dumbfounded as to the cause of the ailment, they also seemed to treat me as this wierd specimen with a one of a kind sickness! Needles, Omiprazole, bad nurses (who never seemed to realize if fluids were to go in through those tubes or blood was to come out...) and endless hours of television passed during which I gained a substantial knowledge about which MPs were already with the UPA and who were required to be given 25 crores... (In fact I can bet that I know more about that July 22nd trust vote than Sonia Gandhi!) The stomach pain often seemed to be diminished; Only later did I understand that it was because there was more pain due to the needles! 'Everything Is Relative'...

The intense pain actually did fade out after the initial couple of days; All was over was what I believed... But NO, it was the beginning. Many days and many more litres of IV fluids later, I was 'discharged' only to be advised to stay on a liquid diet for a few more days. Here I must mention that though I never realized the time passing as nights ran into days and Sundays into Mondays as I lay in that room, oblivious of the world that lay outside, I finally understood that my holidays were about to end; especially when all my friends left the city... (Again, I don't understand why the IIT system has to be so kind by bestowing upon us more holidays than we need.)

But then again, I would never be able to explain the last two weeks as they seem to have been 'Shift-Deleted' from my holiday time... Well, these holidays have had its moments and then again the valleys (like the one I find myself in right now). And hence I've taken time-out in order to type this post out and the recent happenings... After all, all my readers get pretty restless when I don't post for such long stretches. But now I gotta go, I've got a mountain to scale. So cheers!

7 comments:

  1. I empathize at your suffering, but what have you been suffering from? Seems to be a cold or fever because an ice-cream cannot be lethal enough to cause any other dangerous disease.

    Ironically, a good post about the bad times!

    Enjoy (the needles, omiprazole and Related Sufferings!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I quite agree with you over the generosity of our great IIT. If by any chance I'm able to save a back next year, I don't know how I'm going to spend the next vacations. Maybe I'll do an intern in Satya's company. But most probably I'll sleep and eat.

    By the way, I'm supporting the N-deal...Just telling you in case you know any takers ( read 10 janpath !! )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Done in by an ice-cream? Poor guy.
    I got 2 weeks isolation because I made out with Khandu dear, who was then on Chicken pox.
    You got your branch change results yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, you seem to be following all the wrong news channels, or the misguided ones, at least...The only significant news is Rakhi Sawant's chat show (aptly called 'The Rakhi Sawant Showz')!
    And, does a fluid diet induce fluid outflow as well? Just curious...

    ReplyDelete
  5. When in the course of human events one gets hospitalized.......
    bad times dude.

    Anyways nice one as it had been expected.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have let me down, minion. The Besi loyalist that you are (were?), I visited expecting a post on the recently concluded Beach Volleyball tournament (Caroline something from Australia was by far the hottest, btw). Or was your luck so rotten that you missed the biggest event in Maddu history?

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Vikesh
    I'm as much in the dark as you and the docs... Very innocently I ate that ice-cream to end up with this very strange 'pancreatitis'. Must have been some biological weapon still in its infancy...

    @ Amit
    I'm only hoping that interns are not as boring as not-doing-anything... And now u know ur view has "won" in the Trust Vote :)

    @ Saagar
    No haven't got those yet. Ironic that the India's 'home of technology' doesn't post results online.
    And atleast you might have had an idea of what you were getting into...

    @ Murty
    Looks like you happen to get better news channels. And no, the fluid outflow remains at previous levels...

    @ Rahul
    Ya I know man. Just trying to brighten up those dark times. And thanks.

    @ Dela
    Ya I know... Don't rub that in. I wanted to be there, and all I could do is watch my own Bessi on TV!

    ReplyDelete