Friday 10 April 2009

To Forgo And To Forget

'Temasek' may not mean a lot to many (no, its not a Russian footballer) and fewer still would give the word more than a fleeting moment's notice. Others still, would see it as a chance of winning not only an all-expenses paid trip to Singapore (for six months), but also the unique opportunity of being able to forget about CGPA during the entire period while the insti maintains it for you. I have come under all the three categories of people I have mentioned during the course of the eventful week which has just elapsed.

I have always dreamt of travelling far and wide - seeing Machu-Pichu, Ougadougou, Vladivostok, Mogadishu... So what more could I have asked for when such an opportunity came knocking on my door - no strings attached? But soon after reflecting on it for but a few moments, I realized that there was, as there is to every good thing in this world, a flip-side of the deal... The implications of missing a sem and with it, one-eighth of my life in R seemed alarmingly profound. The profs who might be like - 'WhoTF are you?' when I get back... Friends who are separated from you by the Bay of Bengal and a few more seas... And juniors about whom you have no idea about in sections that you thought you knew! 'Hmmm, maybe it isn't a good idea after all."

But then, a half-hour spent with the Great Debator in the premises of the Ravindra Bhawan canteen laid all my worries to rest (and kinda made me look stupid to come up with them in the first place!) Paper work followed suit... We had to draft a matching plan with the names of the courses we would take in NUS in place of those here and then get it approved. It was just after the TS and we definitely weren't at our prime when it came to the speed and dexterity with which we were getting things done (Not that I'm any faster at my brisk best). Anyway, soon our hopes were high and my friend almost hummed a tune which sounded a bit oriental and a bit Tamizh!

However, the pace at which things went on, compounded by the many rules which bind our insti and the sloth which calls itself the Department of Chemical Engineering combined magnificently and resulted in a brilliant interview with the Dean of Academics. The prof. whose signature I needed on the all-encompassing subject-sheet did not set foot into the Department on D-Day (other profs refused to sign it citing difficulties in the matching) and I was left to fend for myself when I faced the panel.

The room had three inhabitants as I entered... The DoA, the coordinator of the NUS-IITR exchange (Co) and an Unknown Third Guy (UTG) (I didn't know him anyway). I made a grand entrance trying to look sad as well as hopeful - I had the required CG, you see... But the approved (subject) matching plan with NUS was not in my hands. Actually, the Subject-Plan was - just that there was no approval.

Trying to look guilty for my 'negligence', I sat there on the fourth chair as three pairs of eyes gazed keenly at me. My eyes, however, were fixed on the packet of Lays (American Sour Cream and Onion) placed at the centre of the table.

DoA: So (searching for the name) Anirudh, you have a good CGPA, we hear. One which matches our criteria.
Me: Yes sir. I understand that.
UTG: But we also understand that you do not possess the other criterion - the matching subject plan.
Me: Yes sir. (Avoiding the Lays packet now and looking straight at him) Actually, I do have the plan (holding up a folder) - only that it hasn't been fully approved. Four subjects out of six are oka-
UTG: That's a worthless piece of information you carry there. It clearly said 'Approved Plan'. You can read, surely?
Me: Yessir, I'm sure I can... But the head of the UG Committee didn't grace the department today. And we have shown it to the HOD als...
Co: Aapko leke aana chahiye tha. We can't wait any longer... Tomorrow is a holiday also.
UTG: What were you doing all these days? (Now to the DoA) Sir, we now have three applicants (only?!) - two, who don't possess the subject approvals and a third who doesn't match the CGPA criterion. (How convienient)
Me: Sir, could you give us another day? The TSs were the problem mainly and the fact that we didn't know what courses we have in the next sem. Regol has started now only sir...
DoA: I don't know if...
UTG: How can you even come up with such an excuse?? I'm sorry I don't think we can do anything about this.
DoA (now agreeing with UTG, who seemed to have sworn vengeance on me): Yes. I'm sorry Mr. Anirudh. The CG is okay but nothing can be done. Thank you.
Me: Thank you, sir. I understand that its too late. So if there is nothing that can be done... Thank you, sir.

As I left the room, I felt that maybe I should have insisted on a day's extension - maybe I gave in too easily.

But the next person into the room alleviated all those doubts. He argued for a while and ended up just short of being booted out of the room by the UTG, who now seemed to be on a roll having finished the entire 20 Rupees packet!

The whole experiance did leave me with a bitter taste. But then again, the plan may not have been approved even if the prof had arrived (though I'd have felt a lot better being rejected that way). One may feel it is 'sour grapes' if I say that now, 'I feel better that I didn't make it'. But that is exactly how I feel right now. The only regret I carry now is be the fact that I missed out watching the 3-1 Liverpool clobbering at Anfield (though I did watch the minute-by-minute commentary most of the time). All I'd say at the end of it all is the clichéd, but highly relevant 'All's well that ends well.'

P.S. The name is Ivanovic - Branislav Ivanovic.

P.P.S. Thus ended the first formal interview of my life (at least in R). In a nutshell, short and sweet (or sour, should I say)... I conclude here with the hope that I'll survive for a bit longer in the interviews to come. Amen.

10 comments:

  1. All's well that ends well eh?
    Always helps to think that!
    And...
    Wasn't it far from ending well?
    I would have been miserable!
    But anyway...good that you are so optimistic about it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I endorse your views with my full suppport. When you went inside for the interview and he rest three of us were like waiting with bated breath,
    it almost seemed like a hilarious moment when UTG exclaimed that he does not interested to even hear such arguments and you were like I.. I mean... yes sir.. I understand sir but..Don't worry ours was even worse ( From what I interpret ,the Lays packets & tea were the primary agenda of the meeting). It is like being inches away from climbing to the top of the cliff and suddenly some dumb a** comes and cuts off the rope with his shining french knife and you just look at him open mouthed and awed... There's not much that could be done here..
    Well all is well that ends.. arrghhh.. well I'm happy atleast the nemesis ended..
    P.S. Nonetheless according to U.T.G., the interview was beneficial for me as it helped strengthen my relations with professors like him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Admin basters, man... No problems, Kondy- maybe you're meant for bigger things than Asian chicks (pun intended).

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Prachi,

    No, seriously... I feel I'd have felt pretty bad if I was to stay out of R for soo long! I was wishing the subjects don't match or something... That way, I'd have been glad that I applied but then was not allowed due to technical constraints - would have felt like 'having the cake as well as eating it'. This wasn't the way I expected to get shot out anyway.

    @ Hemant,

    Definitely. No one could eat just once! The cliff analogy fits the situation really well :)

    And, yours was as bad huh? Too bad then... Better luck next time! (all of us)

    @ HHH,

    Yes, I certainly realized that... As I said no regrets - but then what about 3-1??

    ReplyDelete
  5. IMM is an arse, no doubt(hope he is reading this...). After all he did(not just this), how can the administration still bestow so much power on him?!
    I still can't believe you...you of all people gave up so easily even after Mr. Debator totally convinced you to go for the kill!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its okay da... No probs really. If I really felt that it meant so much to me, I'd have played harder and tried to get it by hook or by crook. 'To forgo and To forget' - I meant that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bad luck, da. Just another case of the insti screwing you over in a way that only the insti can.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Lefty,

    Ya, I know... Only gradually am I being introduced to the ways of IITR. (And congrats, once again)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Being your junior in the same department,I find it worrying how inconsiderate the admin can be...
    Better Luck in future.

    ReplyDelete