Monday 8 March 2010

A Tribute

There are times of unbounded ecstasy. These are moments of sheer jubilation, though hard to come by, which we would like to etch forever into the chronicles of our life so as to recall them during the grayer periods of our mortal existence. These are sources of courage, hope and unbounded delight which are keep the years ticking by without us going quietly insane. These are times when we know we have reached that depth we always knew we had in us; times when there is so much happiness, it is almost vulgar; times when the ground disappears from our field of vision; times when we feel we should honour ourselves, not with marble statues and monetary rewards, but with an acknowledgement from within - that we are, indeed, awesome. At times like these, I listen to a song.

Then there are moments of unparalleled sorrow. Though universally proclaimed a cheap emotion, self pity has an almighty impact- drowning us, asphyxiating us and swallowing our minds as we plunge into an endless spiral... Lower and lower, as the worst memories hit us, again and again. And again, shattering whatever remains of a meager self-belief as we soak in our own tears. Life seems pointless, people become cruel and wicked beasts, and our head sinks so low, we barely see a few feet in front of our apologetic stride. At times like these, I listen to a song.

And then there are those inexplicable days. Hours crawl by and yet rip through life at a relentless pace, tearing apart the fabric which defines our world. And it does this all so slowly. Challenges pile up to form kilometer high columns and Helplessness is the only emotion left accessible to you. Frustration and dejection, which were once carefully tucked away in a corner, smirk viciously from the centre of your brain. Even tears fail you, as the bottle fails to uncork. Slowly, gently, the searing heat transforms into a bitter chill; pain gives way to emptiness and calm… As steel slides against flesh, the latter yields lightly, and you feel it leaving you, with the blood. You want to let it flow.
But, there's an alternative. I listen to a song.

"There is no pain you are receding
A distant ship's smoke on the horizon.
You are only coming through in waves.
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying."

The song is 'Comfortably Numb'. Thank you, Pink Floyd.

14 comments:

  1. There are moments when I want to go back to when I was 10. I want to be honest, loyal, truthful and innocent. I want to get back my belief in true love, I want to believe that the world is a good place to live in and I want to regain that intense desire to grow up and realize my dreams. But I realize that I'm 21, I have to lie at times, the innocence is gone, true love is plain hypocrisy being balanced by the pros and cons of a relationship, the world is a good place to live in is a cruel joke and I don't have a dream. And I listen to the song..

    When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse
    Out of the corner of my eye
    I turned to look but it was gone
    I cannot put my finger on it now
    The child is grown the dream is gone...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Kondy- Put it in the form of a song, get a 'David Gilmour' to sing it for you, a 'Roger Waters' to do the music and then your writing could well do to people what Comfortably Numb does to you.
    Brilliant expression!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Likes the above comment.

    Also, is something wrong kya?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Given the mood swings I've had lately, my fickle opinion could well be discounted; I do it myself, usually! But yes, 'True love', 'Beautiful world' and 'Successful dreams' exist. Just keep looking... And yes, mK, my favorite lines!

    Thanks Pumba, the greatest compliment I've got all day! But seriously, there's a long way to go still.

    High maybe. Not drunk, Shreyas.

    And Anunaya, you are drunk kya? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The meek Arun acknowledges the sheer beauty of the lines posted by Arun Singh above. Although he feels more or less the same way, he begs to back off from taking credit for what he hasn't said. Maybe I should resort to using the initials again as my signature.
    I like the song too, Kondy. Just one of the several ones I listen to all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mea culpa! Sorry, Arun. Nevertheless, what I'd have said would've remained the same.

    And mK, 'One of the songs'?!! Now, seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Arun K: Arun S thanks Arun K for his comment and believes that credits should not come in picture for similar thoughts arising in two minds. Moreover, any and every appreciation of Comf Numb is always welcome, whether it is repetitive or original.

    ReplyDelete
  11. And hell with all the comments, there are three Aruns here now!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Comfortably Dumb works like the song for all seasons for me.
    The contentment mood goes to Simon and Garfunkel hands down.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't disagree with you there! But for any other mood, Dumb wins by miles... for me at least.

    And R's looking to have you back!

    ReplyDelete