Friday 9 April 2010

The Call

I can broadly divide my life in R into two segments so far; one - an idyllic life with quaint pleasures and undulations, lackadaisical joys and soft sorrows, and the other – a violent onslaught, a race against everything worth racing against, bitter pain, gushing bile, infinite chaos and ultimate jubilation. While a timeline which I have carelessly doodled over Ms. Gandhi’s face on Hindu’s first page can hardly tell me which month of which year such a transit happened changing my Zion of freewheeling disorderliness to an imploding passageway of incessant chaos, I have a nagging feeling that I know when, what and how. That cognition doesn’t end there, but goes on to tell me that perhaps the halcyon days are back, after that wonderful, wonderful odyssey.

For I feel a lot stronger after taking blows on the chin without getting KO’d, a lot wiser after leading a myriad underlings to the finish line letting them believe that their halfwit overlord knew more than they did, a lot more impervious after acting like a clumsy clod on the line of duty and giving two hoots to the world as a whole and a lot more outgoing by the sheer compulsion of having to talk to every random person I’ve had the fortune of coming across, to some whom I still might and others who I never will, I relished the trip. I’ve been there and back again. And I know for sure that Experience is the greatest mentor.

But even a legendary mentor remains silent about certain intricacies of the trade. It didn’t take too many of my grey-cells to realize that Cognizance 2010 was part of the latter period of the aforementioned classification, not the period in whole but an indispensable part. And most of my job in Cognizance was to sit on an exorbitantly priced, obscenely comfortable and universally pursued black chair and push buttons on the thoroughly scratched Nokia N sincerely hoping that the person on the other end had enough money to spend and wouldn’t be parsimonious about going ‘All In’. In the end, one just fervently prayed that the bloke receiving the ring hadn’t had a row with his wife over the breakfast table. But nothing deterred those calls. And I believed I could talk anyone into anything.

Things have changed. My fabulous superstructure, it seems, was built upon a crumbling, half-wet foundation – and the castle won’t stand. The fact that I could once talk people into letting their money gallivant didn’t help when that phone call was made. All I wanted to do was to walk back to the crease in style for the second innings! Strike, strike, strike!! and I’m out. Thank you!

I’ve never really been a good phone-person from the days I can remember. But this was the height of frustration. When the normal howdy-whadoyoudo’s ended, I found myself hyperventilating. I tried unfastening the collar which I never wore and hopelessly tried freeing my trachea from that pretzel my imagination had deftly inserted. In the end though, logic prevailed in my utterance and I’m sure that the lack of Video communication would have made me sound fine on the other side. Until then. The conversation appeared to be taking a general route through the hackneyed happenings and mis-happenings of the past decade or so, mildly detouring through Nebuchadnezzar and Idi Amin – but ever so ephemerally that it was hardly discernable, when suddenly there was a lull.

A deafening silence which followed was rather unnerving. The worst part was the lack of any effort from the other side to soothe my nerves as I looked despondently for help. ‘Coupling’ came to mind and even ‘Friends – with Monica’s Cousin’ but I remembered none of them well enough to ape my way out. Then I coughed. Then I clung on to the lifeline and discoursed my way out, talking about the changing weather and susceptibility of even the most robust immunity system. My jokes had gone from ineffective to disquieting. I reconciled to the fact that a man like me has no hope. I dragged the conversation on for a few more minutes, but I was huffing and puffing in the end… turning purple by the effort it was taking.

Then, I gave up. I don’t remember how that happened though. The last lines I remember were directed against Alexander Graham Bell.

12 comments:

  1. Funny I'm the first to read and comment on this post. Very very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh? At 0413? Who do you suppose it should have been?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe he meant that generally its not him but someone else who is the 'first to read and comment on your post'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in no mood to make probabilistic calculations... And I'm not vela enough to go back and check on comment frequency. No thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wasn't making calls fun? I liked it. I used to analyse the frequency changes in the person's voice.
    Eg. 'Oh okay! Drop me a mail...' in a low frequency 25 dB meant 'Maybe something can be worked out!' but the same at high frequency meant 'Get out of here!'

    Cool 'in it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sadly, I don't know the context, but this easily one of the best-written posts I have read. Was a pleasure going through it. Nice work, Kondy.

    PS- Are you the right person to ask whether or not Cogni sucked? Different views are being thrown about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tend to agree with Master Lefty, I think this is one of your best written posts I have read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Baster, even while talking on the phone, you're thinking of 'Coupling'?! May God help you, sonny.

    Maybe if you go easy on that phone accent, the conversations might go on for longer; only if the other side is a male, mind you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anunaya, not many people have the time nor are they in the frame of mind to analyze intonation and predict the course of the conversation. But yes, it was fun when it lasted.

    Master Lefty and Raghav,
    Thank you very much! But it's weird, really - the opinions which I have got! They range from 'utterly incomprehensible' to 'esoterically awesome'... Well, I'm left wondering what happened!

    And Lefty, Cogni didn't suck in terms of prizes et al. The total prize money went up from 6 L last year to 10.5 this year... That apart, people are feeling cheated coz they expected more of a '1 Crore fest'!

    Jetty, I know... I know! I give up. And the accent was largely a mellifluous one, yielding easily and yet, all the time, making a mark.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jokes!? Excuse me! What jokes?

    I guess every maddu likes to live under the delusion that he's finance material. You've seen your light, this maddu still hasn't.

    Great post btw, though some of the "big words" did seem a bit forced, here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good, good post bald boy. Your best in a while.

    On another note, what is this I hear about your escapades to Nesci? The world still has 1411 hale and hearty tigers, FYI.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shreyas, I unleashed a barrage of laughter packets which decayed in quality over time. I kid you not - in the end they became as bad as your POTDs!
    It's not a coincidence then that only Maddus can have names such as 'Mani'! And thanks.

    Dela, Danke. Story? What story?? I'd like to hear them too... And btw, what is this I hear about certain online coupling which has been happening to you?

    ReplyDelete