Monday 19 July 2010

A Train Story

Waking up to new company has been a phenomena I have increasingly got used to owing to the immense variety of people I've been rendezvousing over the past fortnight. But even this sort of experience would have counted zilch if I hadn't remembered the happenings of the night prior. And Cafe Leopold.

Having got up in a room whose co-occupant was a certain Tiger, for the second time in my life, and being a few rooms away from the Blob, wasn't as disturbing an experience as the one prior but the headache was a lot worse. For people unfamiliar with the happenings of 'Wake Up : Episode #1', a brief summary would say that I had to un-'lock' my belt and scrape toothpaste off my face. But I also remembered that morning, that it was the first time I had got drunk on Beer. Haddu, Chatu, Chirag and Monkey were the other champions of the Colaba night.

But as dark secrets often do, this story too will let the night fade into the same darkness which enveloped the majestic Gateway that night. But the barley hangover won't be forgotten that easily, for waking up will a heavy head and a topsy turvy world isn't all that hard when you are in familiar environs. But when you realize that you have to traverse half a Mumbai to reach the far-off haven...

And thus I took the trusted local and went to the extent of affording myself the agony of having to change trains in the process - to reach my Navi-Mumbai home. Desperately yearning for that liberating coffee which so often is the antidote to many a headache, the protagonist of this tale crawled through the empty midmorning train and found himself a seat.

A few stations later, I arrived at a hamlet called 'Mankhurd' - one not many would notice if it hadn't been for a drizzle like none other I have ever witnessed. The rain seemed to be falling upwards. As the train gradually pulled out of the station, the rain started getting heavier and the drops larger. The small tenements gave way to a plush green; there was a green of every shade starting out deep and getting lighter with distance before finally fading into the grey-purple hills on the horizon. The cumulous formations seemed to have descended from the heavens, teasing my outstretched palm as I reached for the grey firmament. As the train burst through the greenery at immense pace, I found myself reaching out for the open doorway.

It was then that I saw the clear blue bay hurtling towards me through heaven's cataract. The Mumbai - Vashi bay is a beautiful sight on most days and nights. But this sight was one few are permitted. Plush green, faraway hills, a magical sea, an overbearing grey sky... And the land on the other end of the bridge bathed in golden sunlight unaffected by dampness. I leaned out of the compartment and the first few drops struck my forehead. No longer was there pain. It was pure bliss.

5 comments:

  1. Cafe Leopold has those bullet marks still there! Did you see?

    And Bombay beats any firang city, any goddarn day, during the monsoons! Except the water-logging, and the traffic snarls, the mud-pools, the humidity thereafter... and so on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naice Post!
    I so so envy guys! You people can do just about everything! Without being worried about safety n stuff...
    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Anunaya,

    Yep, on the pillar and on the mirror among other things... I dunno about the 'firang city' part... But it's pretty good to spend a few weeks in!

    @ Prachi,

    I'm pretty sure you could do the same things too... If you threw all that unwanted caution to the winds! :D And thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bizarre story, up till the Mankhurd part. Brilliant thereafter, when it was story less and imagery more.
    It has been raining incessantly here too. Pure bliss, except for the small trouble with the wet registration forms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Arun,

    Thank you da... I hope to be in R real soon... and continue with life, hassle free.

    ReplyDelete