Friday 25 March 2011

Lest We Forget Goa

Like most self-respecting Maddus, I don't dance - at least when I'm not inebriated, I don't. However, that's where my similarities with the stereotype end, for I don't sing either - not for the public at least. So, when the lady at the bar asked me to sing karaoke, it was only obvious that I'd decline.

We had come to Goa for a whole lot of things - bikes, beer, babes, beaches... Karaoke, however, began with a 'K'. So, the bearded one just said "One Budweiser, please" before the blonde waitress bothered us any further. And thus began our story at the second bar of my first ever pub-crawl.

Rounds of vodka, rum, gin and fenny can do weird things to your head. All the same, yours truly was clever, as he had switched off his mobile phone and taken out the battery, lest he should fool around with it and end up as a fool the next morning. A few more beers were thrown in by the courteous waitress, about whom someone commented - "These foreigners are so pleasant, man! Why can't Indians be like them?"

I cannot vividly recall all the happenings of that night - but I certainly remember poring through a song catalogue, complaining about the randomness of the list and Pink Floyd's conspicuous absence. The senti one, who was thoroughly hammered by now, suggested that he's return to Goa in December if they promised to get new songs. Drunk people are particular when it comes to such matters, but they're not finicky. So we sang.

My cacophonous rendition of 'Hey Jude' quickly put Jetty's utterly horrendous 'Yesterday' (which sounded more like Bieber's 'Baby, baby, baby') to shame. The lady was there to rub it in: "You told me you wouldn't sing!" she said. "Well, I wasn't drinking then, was I?" was my deft reply.

Jetty continued to hog the title of 'worst singer ever' with consummate ease, even as the bearded fellow sank into a conversation with the waitress.

"What's your name?" he asked.
"Zena," she replied.
"Like the Warrior princess?" he ventured.
"No. With a 'Z'," she smiled.

Sadly, their romantic chat was shredded apart by Jetty's 'Yellow Submarine'. The chorus was insane, with Jetty convincing the rest of us with irrefutable logic that we all do, indeed, live in a Yellow submarine.

Soon, it was time to leave, so we could reach the next shack. The bill came and we paid. As we left, the waitress ran after us a hundred yards just to say goodbye. After all, I've never tipped like that in my life!

11 comments:

  1. The name of the pub was 'The Pub'. We couldn't stop laughing at that name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fun! Maybe I'll sing Altaf Raja and the likes when I go to Goa.
    Woooo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shame, i wasn't there with my cam. There must be plenty of scandalous stuff that neither of you remember.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jetty is the single-most biggest disgrace to Malluland ever. Bigger than Sreeshanth even. This after being only one-tenth mallu.

    Awesome awesome trip by the sounds of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ mK, so many superlatives! i liek. And obviously, there's stuff I couldn't put into the post... (What happens in Goa stays in Goa) Wait till you hear an abridged version!

    ReplyDelete
  6. MGay had me laughing for at least a few minutes there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ C: the name of the pub wasnt 'the pub', it was 'the exotic pub' and i guess thats eeeven funnier!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @MGay,
    First learn to spell Sreesanth before calling yourself a Mallu.
    And yes, thanks for comparing me to 'someone who greets everyone with a smile' :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woohoo! Mallu fight! Throw coconuts at each other!

    @ Shubham, Yeah! Now I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dude, I was the one who sang Yesterday, and the blonde thought I was pretty damn good. How drunk were you to think it was Jetty!?

    ReplyDelete