Monday 14 March 2011

Off My Bucket List

Some of my fondest moments in Watch Out News Agency, and thus on campus, involve staring at the old tree which the wise old dog speaks about so highly. I’m sure most people who have stared in wonderment at the old tree’s majestic upper-branches will empathize with me when I say that the profoundest of thoughts jump out of its withering bark.

I’m quite certain campus Wi-Fi jumped out of it while it was a few rings younger and maybe co-ed hostels will emerge one fine day, as most of us fancifully dream. But usually, staring results in – The E&C Tower. What to do with the E&C tower? How to blow it up? How to throw oneself to the Gaon using the mighty concrete tower as a giant trebuchet? And so on…

While the greatest ‘Rank’ I’ve written would involve ways of getting oneself into SB and staying there undetected, all other spots in my top ten list would have something to do with the mysterious phallic structure. Fucchas, year after year, are bedazzled by the brilliant Main Building and baffled by the weird tower mastering the slope. And seniors leaving the institute inevitably harbour one unfulfilled dream – “Damn, I never scaled it!” Well, I did. (Albeit with a few score others)

Having gone four dry years, I’ve scaled it twice in two days now: courtesy Cognizance 2011. The fifteen story climb is an arduous one – but like in all great treks and pilgrimages – totally worth the effort! The summit has something for everyone: While flying paper planes off the top never occurred to us when we stared at the tree, the bearded one’s ‘Dragon’ demonstrated what fine aerodynamics must consist of. Gelf’s own multiethnic jackass spotted Kerala on the horizon and the Shutterbug was busy capturing anything and everything under the sun (including the sun itself, which, he very intelligently realized, was a few feet closer).

For me, it was about what R has always been about.

WondeRland lies in full brilliance in front of my eyes in uncorrupted pristine splendour. I watch the people, who have meant so much to me, scamper about like tiny ants disappearing into the trees. The sun drowns us in radiant ochre. And I understand why I’ll never stop loving this place.

7 comments:

  1. well i blew my chances of climbing greater heights... but i comfort myself thinking that this might turn out to be a reason for me to return to this place that has found a place in my heart. nice post... WONA and Roorkee sums up so much of all that there is to miss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll thank me later for capturing these memories while you were merely savouring the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While wondeRland stood in front of your eyes in uncorrupted majestic splendor, you showed me a middle finger from the top!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I climbed the tower too. And can you believe it, I used to think it's just 6 storeys high.

    Pff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Pa-nav,
    May you get the chance some time. And very few people will understand exactly what those steps mean to us!

    @ Punky,
    Maybe. But you'll never know what it felt like to savour such a moment.

    @ Bhix,
    Hehe, true. Glad that you could discern from so far away which finger it was.

    @ Anunaya,
    Boy! Are you bad as estimating height, or what!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if you guys ever heard the ragging related story of the E&C tower. Maybe that's why I always thought it would make a great spot for a Durex banner during Cogni/Thomso.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm, I never really heard of this one! But yes, such a banner would be an O&M dream! :D

    ReplyDelete