Saturday 12 September 2009

One Score. Next is what?

It's a mere technicality, this three hundred and sixty fifth day, which we most convieniently choose to honour and celebrate an entire year which passed and to resolve to make the future happier, replete with smiles all around. These are empirical observations then, which propose that the sun has reached the exact same point it held when I was born into this world; observations which when repeated one score times throw you on the other side of twenty. Trivial though this day seemed a fortnight earlier, it is one which marks the end of one great score and the beginning of another. And thus, it is with great veneration for life and the future that I begin writing this post.

After spending seven years, a mighty thirty-five percent of my life, under the aegis of Teenage, I am finally booted out of that society by people who now can lay substantial claim of being younger than me. I still believe I left the tutelage of Teenage last year - this same time, as I am supposed to have completed a score now and have been living my twentieth the last 365. Nevertheless, it is only now that my age will be displayed as '20' on the loose paper stuck on to the side off my compartment on a train back home, or on a flight ticket. Sentimental and foolish, though it seems, the weight it carries seems to be profound. I can quite empathize now with the kid on the Twelfth of September, 1999 as he reaped a dual-digit age for the first time.

A Facebook quiz taken yesterday brought back fond memories of childhood, one which still provides me with a feeling of safety by remaining close by, though deep within I do realize I shall never be able to back back to them. Reminiscing about my G.I.Joe collection (which still lies stashed away somewhere in the attic), the Blyton books (I still recall vividly tales of Pixies, Brownies and Thirteen o'Clock), plasticine, my first ambition as a kid to become an engine driver and losing my first milk-tooth brims me with a sense of deprivation before I realize the importance of these memories. The place each of these events hold in my heart is perhaps the same way I'll feel about each of these blog-posts once I reach two-score and more. When we see a memory, we more than just visualize it; we feel it. Each of these small acts, however trivial and trifle they seemed back then, has helped mould me to what I am today. It is with great honour and love that I recall each of those black-and-white sequences.

I remember bro (who is a Sagittarian) saying when he was a kid, "Anna, your birthday comes before mine. So you will become older before me!" He is the same kid now, who wishes 'Happy Twentieth' me at the stroke of twelve... Looks like we all have grown. Change once again proves itself the only constancy in this ever mutating world. Only a fool would want to stay at a point forever. To go on forth with ambition for life and a prayer on our lips and to 'look back at our past with smiles, not tears' (Lord Cautley) is forever the gospel. Happy twentieth to me.

P.S. Thankfully, my non-reading phase is over with the coming of 20. Many books for the future, hopefully.

P.P.S. The weather's condition is wonderful, a clear contrast to that of my back-side.

11 comments:

  1. You won't be enjoying all these birthday posts as long as you don't set your blog's timer right. And, if the hair, the teeth and "Kondrews 3.0- The Evolution" weren't enough, I'm 19.

    Rap pa ra rapa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Duly noted and corrected. Thanks Murtha. I understand you are still a kid and have a lot to gain from us lot...
    Btw I didn't get the tribal part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Meesa too confused about that 19 completed thingy. However, no ambiguity for you now.

    2. Your brother calls you "Anna" (Kournikova??)

    3. Lord Cautley must be smiling right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whether to remain in your teens or not, is a matter of personal choice. For example, a certain other commenter on this page will try never to leave his teens!
    Bro used to, in the distant past, call me 'Anna' - not-Kournikova.
    Overcast though the skies are, I'm sure our eponymous founder is beaming down at Cautley Bhawan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy 20 Kondy Boy
    You've grown up now. Time to let the other (hair) growth begin.
    Nice b'day post, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post ,Kondy. Endearing, and warm nostalgic moments such as losing your first milk tooth, crying when you fell while riding your bicycle, happy moments when you were given huge birthday presents most certainly have a special place in the deepest, and most cherished corners of one's heart.
    And once again, Joyeux anniversaire! Mes meilleurs voeux, À la tienne, Tchin-tchin ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah and yes, I strongly discourage anyone from calling me anna on the one hand, and really against calling anyone anna/akka/senior sir etc on the other. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Lefty,

    Thanks again da! And yes, come convo and you shall notice that everything has grown up.

    @ Raghav,

    Thanks da... It's an overdose of Francais (even by my standards!)
    It was my brother da, and so long back! Now, I'm glad he calls me by my name, and not other things...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I shall tell you in simple, plain English- a very nice post. Happy 20th once again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't realize my comment didn't appear here, weeks after I posted it. Must have been some technical fault with my system. Anyways, It was nice to observe your evolution from Anirudh to Kondy and then to Kondy 3.0 ( Though most of the traits that characterize these versions remain a mystery to me, the origin of your name Kondy stands out to be a source of endless humor and innovation).

    ReplyDelete