Tuesday 20 April 2010

Chequered Flag

I do not understand whether it is with the jubilation of accomplishment, on the completion of the omnipotent list, or the fear of humiliation from actually making this a blog-post that I begin typing at an unearthly 0445 hrs, a phenomenon which is becoming all too common lately contributing wonderfully to my languishing battle against the mighty seventy-five. But today is special. I checked the last Bhawan off my list.

Many before have dreamt of making the magical number Nine, but people have fallen aplenty... While most battle valiantly and end up just two short, there are a few (who are not-so-few in absolute numbers) who get to see the chequered flag. And since not everyone can garner the trust of Chief Wardens and acquire passes, people resolve to a magnificent array of novel-tactics. Some even get committed (this tag has been removed for the author's safety). Others, of course, have sections where it is a deplorable crime to not invite family and kinsfolk; exile and banishment are rewards for declining aforesaid invites. A few, of course, get invited over for a number of varied reasons which GenPop isn't able to comprehend yet. But they all do arrive with unsolicited punctuality, dressed impeccably in Armani, Versace, Nike and Petrol, to sweep their maidens, who might just feel a few kgs heavier and a few inches thicker, off their feet. A few however have the dubious distinction of being invited over, wanting to go and then choosing chicken over everything else. After all, Winner winner, Chicken dinner! Who can argue?

A heartwarming sight did greet me in MI-254 at 6:30 p.m. when the India-quiz was attended in full-strength; LitSecTM never fails you. While I had all but submitted to a strange fate, of ending up with so weirdly with Eight-Bhawans, before anything began, harboring but a tiny notion that someone would, in fact, call me - the call came from the most unexpected source. Battling words of discouragement (which I was later told- was secret envy) and those goading me to attend the event in Shorts, I ambled along to SB in grossly inappropriate attire, with Career Launcher getting free publicity. Add to that my maddu inability to dance (swinging arms and shifting feet simultaneously, and that too synced to the music, is something I will never pick up) and presto, the clown for the night! Oh well, leaving aside the gruesome details and the fact that women ranged from gorgeous to garish to ghostly, and the fact that you might presently be concluding that I am a chauvinist, the night went off well... With the benefit of hindsight, it's something I would never have missed. After all, I've mastered magic number 9 now!

10 comments:

  1. you never know da, as you typed this post, two new bhawans might have sprung up from somewhere in the campus, and bam, you have two more unattended bhawan days next year!
    dunno if it's just my growing older by the moment, but IMHO, Bhawan Days are mere First Year Fetishes, I hardly understand how ppl can be so profoundly ecstasic about even the thought of attending a bhawan day. and plus, its the same people you are seeing anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not the people. It's the places. How stupid do you think you'll look if you leave R after four years telling people you haven't even visited the entire 350 acre-odd space we've got!
    And do not mistake this for a fetish... This was exactly what I was worried about in the beginning of the post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mind that devised the plan to storm into SB in shorts, prodded me and I guess, over a dozen others. Good you decided wisely to preserve the little dignity left in the Krows to loose.

    Btw, who was the unexpected source ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shag just rose a couple of feet in my eyes.
    Bhawan days are idiotic. They should be ended.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All hail the hairless dude on his successful climb to the insurmountable pinnacle of SB. But the blog ended too abruptly.Could have been culminated with a few more descriptive conjectures and which trait of yours in that night reflected chauvinism I did not get. All the same waiting for the next blog to lighten up our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The day went well? Lucky you...I presume you were able to make your way around the place without getting stuck in a place for what seemed like an eternity and in an overwhelming stench and disgusting proximity of what seemed like the entire IITR junta!
    And pardon me, but I actually thought that the attire and the Career Launcher bag were to declare solidarity with the Krows and fact that they consider Bhawan Days below their dignity to attend...
    Anyway, SB has seen better bhawan days, this one has been the worst so far.
    Oh and of course, congratulations!

    P.S. One does not need this post or any other to conclude that you are a chauvinist! :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. The simple act of writing a blog about your visit to SB bhawan day(cleverly disguised as your 'day of completion' of all bhawans) shows the level of desperation.

    Fear not, *fingers crossed* the answer to all your problems awaits you till 22.9 atleast. God doesn't believe in the law of averages for Litters. May God help you. May Bhushan be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Jetty
    this is the most brilliant piece of observation and analysis I have seen in a long time. May god help kondy !

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Dang,
    Of course... Anytime. I was after all guided by wonderful advice from a fellow krow.

    @ Lefty,
    Bhawan Days aren't all that important da, save for the food... The Bhawans count though :)

    @ Bombastic-Bengali,
    It'd have gotten infinitely long had I described the intricacies.

    @ Prachi,
    I definitely didn't think it'd have been the better bhawan days... (Frankly, I like KB better, all though this might seem highly irrelevant) And yes, that's how I convinced myself that I would still be doing something for the cause. With the bag!

    @ Jetty,
    The fact that this comes to your mind tells us who's who, dun'nit? Anyway, may Bhushan be with me :)

    ReplyDelete