Tuesday 13 April 2010

The Quill of a Narcissist

My blog is largely a personal diary. It's strange really; the way I put into words some of my most latent feelings here, by simply imagining that this is some private space - much like the loose bundle of faded A4 sheets relegated to the corner of my very cluttered drawer or like the back page of my shiny-new semester-old "Renewable Energy" notebook. While, all along, I know that this is all but private; throwing my mysteries wide open to the very public I so meticulously hide them from and giving tangible form to certain cerebrations which I try desperately to hide from the cognitive part of my brain. It is something I simply can't avoid.

Personality tests jeer at me as they tell me that they are unable to place me as an 'Open' or 'Closed' person. 'Extraversion' is a greatly pursued quality and I'd be a terrible liar if I told you that I don't admire the kind who can do just about anything without giving it as much as a moment's thought. These are men and women who don't mind opening their lives out to the world and can remain all so comfortable despite all those prying eyes. These are the few who will not shirk a responsibility, shy away from hardship or run away from problems or even run around them. Head on - that's how they'll be taken down. These are people who can talk to anyone, anyone at all - be it a beggar, policeman, colleague, salesman, lecher, mayor, professor, lawyer, thief, boss... I hold these people a cut above the rest.

While there is no name which comes to my head when asked 'Who do you hate the most' and a very few come up as answers to the question 'Name your loved ones', I wonder if I really have the emotional capacity of a soap-strip! 20 years and only a half dozen names?! Now, really! But then, a quick revision allays these fears and gives birth an alarming number of new ones - Ones which makes my world a living purgatory. Because the outside world is left dancing blithely to the joyous tunes of a spring afternoon while the insides are tormented by the most vile and vicious wraiths; ghosts which will not leave.

I've often been told I think too much. I perform the process of thinking several times over, each time slightly varying a hypothetical stochastic variable, before the process of rethinking begins. In the end, the results are largely desirable. No one gets hurt. There is absolute control. There is no impulsiveness. The meagre changes which happen in life are feeble and they decay. But in the end, no one is hurt. One thing I can't bring myself to do is - hurt. To the extent that it often requires holding back desires, impulses, drives, urges, thoughts, dreams... While it hurts the self, no one else is hurt. And that's good.

I can talk to pretty much anyone. I can talk within that cage I have constructed for myself, with new bars apparating every now and again as newly formed barricades. I can open myself up to the world and be as extrovert as you want me to be - but you'll never really know me. I will detour around a possible threat and get a job done. Mind you, I'll do the job... even if it requires traversing a hugely convoluted path! And I will never let anyone know that I love someone or if I hate them, least of all myself. No wonder the damn Personality Test is confounded.

I've rambled on enough already... And even though I'll probably look at this and laugh tomorrow morning, I've decided not to think too much for once. I'm hitting 'Publish'. Cheerio.

14 comments:

  1. This the best post I have read ever. It has something for all of us.. I mean I could I identify majorly with a lot of things here!

    Absolute respect to you Anirudh!
    Cheers right back at'cha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laughing out loud.
    You can't blame me Kondy, this was my first impulse. I dunno whether I should be pleased after reading this, but I sure am glad for one thing. You do think after all. A lot, it might seem too. Way to go.
    P.S. Stop taking the darned Personality Tests, for God's sake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Anunaya,
    Really? Strange... I thought it was mostly an emotional ramble! Thanks anyway... Good to see other people face similar stuff.

    @ Arun,
    Oh go on, laugh! You probably should be happy... After all, in my own words - 'What is life if you can't laugh at yourself?' You just don't count on others though...
    And I shall go down as one of the great procrastinators of this world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I take a lot of personality tests to know more about myself, but since I rarely get to know more about myself through these tests, I never take them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't believe you pressed the "publish" button while you were sober. But then late night does strange things to your head. Stop taking those damn personality tests will you, I doubt some random algorithm can figure you out better than you can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Dang,
    I wonder if anyone unfamiliar with Heller would appreciate your comment as much I do... Extremely true! But everyone seems to have missed the point altogether... The post was hardly about personality tests.

    @ Shreyas,
    I can't believe it either. But if you know what caused this, I guess you'd have pressed it too. And yes, I guess I will put an end to them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Kondy
    I've been furiously reading catch-22 since last 24 hours, and my entire existence seems like a catch now. While your post was highly appreciated in context and style, I just couldn't praise you without giving due tribute to Mr. Heller, even if somehow I completely missed out on the former, without intending to.
    I hope it makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "One thing I can't bring myself to do is - hurt." I wish you could say that in front of Teja.

    The quality of Impulsiveness is bliss, something you should give a try once in a while at least, although my saner side would find it difficult to agree. Nevertheless, I am forced to go impulsive everytime due to sheer excitement/curiosity about its consequences. No wonder Curiosity killed the cat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. First and foremost...your posts( in prose) keep getting better!
    And the fact that you don't want to hurt anyone has more to do with diplomacy I think you have very firmly ingrained in you than any humanitarian instinct. Not always the best way out, it's better to speak out loud your opinions...for your sake as well as for people around you.
    You don't have to necessarily please everyone!
    I might of course be grossly mistaken in my interpretation of the post...apologies if I am!

    @Amit: You have catch-22? I found it in library and then it went missing...care to lend it to me?

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Jetty,
    You saw Teja today dude... Crazy people, you don't reason with! I agree impulsiveness is bliss! But for people like me, it first takes a lot of procrastination to convince myself to don the mantle of impulsiveness.

    @ Prachi,
    Thank you! Again, you are bang on target... I can't help diplomacy as much as I deplore it :) But I'd like to clarify that all the diplomacy sprouts from some goddamn sense of humanity which I cherish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Was Rajshree Jobanputra here when you guys arrived on campus?
    Talk to Tejo about her sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ Lefty
    Who was she? I'm pretty sure she left before our time anyway... I'll talk to PTV about her.

    ReplyDelete