Tuesday 17 November 2009

Foot-lose

If this day hadn't already done enough to merit itself a few inches of space on this Course of Human Events, the events of the last hour have made it inevitable. So much so, that I've succumbed to the thought that - if this post isn't made, nothing else is worth writing about! To begin with, this post could, so easily, have been titled 'Remember, remember; The seventeenth November'.

One major reason I didn't post promptly after receiving two wonderful messages was the fact that I didn't want to sound like a narcissistic creep. The other, of course, was because I wouldn't have had the time to draft one as I was drowned in a deluge of SMSs, GTalk IMs and gargantuan EDC and WONA threads (yes, the latter giving the former a run for its money). Now, however, I realize that this moment of indulgence is perhaps something I must be forgiven for... One of the many reasons which bind me to the blogosphere is the fact that 'konfessionsofageenius' is a chronicle of my life, and if this day didn't make it there among the top days, I don't know what would. Some day I'll look back at this post...

A miss, a mistake and Bang! A strange shortlist and a weird Group Discussion preceded what was to be a classy interview- a dream, to be precise. With no technical question asked and the interviewer delving into subjects like Lit and EDC, I thought I had a reasonable shot. Then finally, when he took a copy of the latest 'Watch Out!', I thought I had it... They made me wait, but yes - I got Schlum.

Just when the formalities of home-calling had been finished and the sluice-gates were gradually giving in, Cogni decides to put up the second overdue list of the day. I wonder whether there are two other such adjacent Cogni rooms in the insti now, apart from Pinky et moi. Well, forget the sluices now. The dam had collapsed.

It took a while for everything to sink in as people all over telephoned and messaged. Thank you, all. Some people went into praise mode, some asked for chapos, few asked me details of the interview, while some said 'I was being too modest'. Still others said that they were doing their best to ruin the day for me. Thank you, Dela. And thank you, Lefty, for having that happen. And thank you, Lit, for everything else about it.

That hasn't dented this evening, but a mongrel almost did. Well, I found myself in Ravindra an hour back trying to get my Practical work signed. A Research Scholar who wouldn't let me into his room with my shoes on greeted me. I took the Four-'K' pair off, of course, and earned entry into the room. Soon, he was using me as an office boy to tabulate his bills, even as he took his time signing my file. Needless to say, I was half Gujju when I left his room, albeit with some A's in the bag, only to see a single shoe greeting me at the threshold!

Who would take one shoe?! Half-an-hour of math was thrown out the window as I realized a single shoe in a Rs.4000 pair wasn't worth two grand. Soon, two madmen (one shoe-less) were seen outside the Ravindra canteen searching for an elusive shoe, which I was told, had been taken by a dog. Soon some others including the watchman joined us in the hunt even as I profusely insulted the RS's lineage in every language I knew. The dog was detected, but the shoe was gone.

Another half hour and thoroughly scanned grounds later, it was discovered beside a bathroom somewhere far-far away! Nothing has gone wrong (yet) and I walk with two shoes.

P.S. Happy birthday, Nimba. The 17th of November will be difficult to forget.

P.P.S. Thank you all. Again.

21 comments:

  1. this day has been momentous day for all of us...for one, i finally got a b-plan together. for u probably this is a bigger day than 29th May 2007.

    P.S. i hope u join schlum either in Mumbai and Baroda. i'll surely come and visit u.

    P.P.S. if u and pulkit get the same site, i have to warn u... he does laugh a lot over silly jokes.

    P.P.P.S. the girls are gonna struggle!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it has been. Congo on the B-Plan! It is definitely up there among the finest.

    I hope so too... I'd probably drop in to your place sometime, if I'm at Mumbai. And yes, I wonder what the girls will be up to...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally, Kondy will get to Salsa next Thomso.
    Hip Hip Hurray!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Jetty,

    How does that make sense? Unless of course, Thomso '10 is scheduled to fall on 17-11-2010...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Arre bhai tum to abhi se Schlumiyaane lage ho.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Remember Remember- the Seventeenth of November. I was sure someone's life will change today. Lives always change during this time.

    Congrats Kondy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Murtha,

    As always, "WTH was that about?" Be more explicit da... esp. in hindi... I'm still a Maddu, you see.

    @ Vix,

    Why is it I think I'm peeling off layers of meaning here?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on Schlum! When you are through with your intern, make sure your mentor recommends you for a PPO.
    And now that the first obstacle has been cleared, I guess you can focus on more important 'issues'.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Rapster,

    Thank you, da. I will try to... but I wonder how goos Schlum is for placements. Remind me to talk to you about that.

    And yes, a major 'issue' waiting to get settled. My fingers are crossed.

    P.S. The Dino's advice didn't go unheeded.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A sole-ful day indeed.

    P.S: Pee Tee Vee is posting at a rate that is putting Murtha and you to shame. Buck up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Schlumdog's Millionth Heir, eh?
    Nice one.
    The Schlum intern is one of the best. Naman will give more details, obviously. Make sure you enjoy every bit. And yes, a lot depends on your mentor as far as the PPO goes.
    Even I thought, on reading the title of the post as footloose, that it was a reference to the Salsa misadventure...

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Shreyas,

    Completely. At the moment, he's competing with our combined efforts da... It's a battle not worth waging!

    @ Lefty,

    Thank you. And yes, I'll have to ask Jham about it.
    One point of objection, however. There are no misadventures, da... Only adventures with unexpected endings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A monumental day, the stuff of dreams, if only not for the FB incident. Nevertheless, this is the time when your mother would say proudly to you, Attaboy! Great going Kondy. You have hit a real purple patch. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ MK,

    I always thought '7' was lucky for me... Seventeen is better, apparently. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The seventeenth seems to have been a day of bumpers for you! Many congos dude, and do have a great time at your two big new ventures, if I could call them that :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know a second comment is considered blasphemy but I'm surprised Don S*ag didn't point out the faltoo fact that both seven and seventeen are prime.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @ Raghav(an?)
    Thank you! The best part, strangely enough, was when I found the left shoe!

    @ Shreyas,

    Or for that matter, Murtha! But then, Murtha considers it blasphemy, me guessing...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh and I missed the fact that the mag was brought out. The interview magic remains, then. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. @ Lefty,

    I was wondering why you didn't see that :) Yes it does! And may it remain...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Forget one day, looks like you're having quite a semester. Hope the streak goes on. And congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  21. @ Bang-Bang,

    Sure hope so... Thanks! Hope your stint in Hyd is going nicely.

    Btw, I do hope you have seen the mag! I'll send over the PDF if not.

    ReplyDelete