Friday 4 December 2009

Lumos!

Often have I wondered what makes one afraid of something. What is it which tells us what is worth being frightened of and what isn't? What makes us fear those heights when we peer down a 20 floor chasm from the top of a building, even when we are completely sure of being in control of ourselves? Why, albeit thoroughly convinced by science and its gospels, one can still not conclusively rule out Spirits... And why on earth would one fear a well grown cockroach?!

While snakes and tigers make reasonably fear-worthy animals, why should one be afraid of a harmless rat or worse, a spider, escapes my cerebral capacity. The range of phobias thus, unsurprisingly enough, encompasses the entire range from the logical poisons (Io-) to the rather obvious (Lilapsophobia for hurricanes and tornadoes) and the enigmatic (Apeiro- for 'Fear of infinity'). That a word should exist for Fear of beautiful women - Caligynephobia - leaves me flabbergasted!

While certain fears are imbibed in children for their own protection (like that for 'heights' and 'fire'), one usually outgrows these. Some, however, stay with you. I have admitted to this in the past and I feel rather unashamed when I say that the things I fear in this world includes the 'Dark' -Yes, so much, that I have dedicated this post to its awesome force. I would, in fact, go as far as to say that that it nearly tops the list of 'Things To Be Afraid Of'.

Sometimes, people look into my room at 3 a.m. in the morning and laugh at the fact that I have slept with my lights on, while ever so gently envying the fact that I can sleep amidst the brightest of lights and the loudest of sounds. Even I wonder, at times, how my laptop doesn't fall off the bed or at least succumb to a mighty blow rendered by my sleepy arm, but that's digressing from the topic.

While my sleeping is an involuntary action and I doze off while commenting on FB or reading an article on Soccernet, I have come to learn that people's general perception of Morpheus is quite different. While many stare for hours at their ceilings or even mull over the events of previous day or worse, plan their future; when I hit the bed, it's more like the bed hitting me. I sleep dreamless sleeps, which makes me feel I'm missing out on a rather important aspect of life. But when I sleep, I sleep. Then again, I hate staring at the ceiling in a perfectly pitch dark room... I know this sounds stupid, but who knows what might happen!

If there's something worse than the dark itself, it is closing your eyes in the dark! You know you cannot see anything with them open anyway, but you don't want them closed! It may be weird, but that's the way it is... It is comforting, however, to hear people admit that they fear Blackness in open places, at least. Go sit in an empty cinema hall when the lights are out and I'll see if you come out fifteen minutes later.

It all comes down to two lines, so beautifully penned by Steve Harris:

When the lights begin to change, I feel a little strange. A little anxious when it's dark...
I have a constant fear that something's always near. I have a phobia that someone's always there. Fear of the Dark!

Well, It's almost morning now. And I'm turning off the lights.

11 comments:

  1. No dreams, huh? Morpheus must hate you :)

    And if you love the dark this much, try spending one night without lights after a dose of Paranormal Activity/ Nightmare on Elm Street/ Tamil movie of your choice

    Mod

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reminded of Dumbledoor's "The only thing you are afraid of is fear itself". Btw, Sleepless dreams is not really a good thing. Get yourself checked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can hardly imagine how terribly you'd freak out if you had a flight journey like mine last evening. The flight went away at mad angles because of turbulent weather and all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Mod (pra?)

    Dreams attack me only I'm in vulnerable emotional states, which happens just about never. I'll try it after a TR feature though...

    @ Shreyas,

    Yeah, but docs apparently recommend dreamless sleep. Though it sucks the fun outta the process :/

    @ Raghav,

    I'm am not afraid of everything, da! The dark topped the list... I love turbulence. Gets me high ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The song by Iron Maiden is one of the classiest ever. I had once written a poem about fearing the dark, in 8th standard. Nothing compared to the song though.

    Every fear is directly or indirectly connected to your fear of mortal peril, you know that? You fear losing your life to omnipresent forces that lurk around you in the darkness, waiting to grab you by your neck and suck all the blood out of your body. It is the unknown that we fear; this fear has no form, no shape, no name- just fear.

    The day you quit fearing death is the day you quite fearing anything. If you are as mortal as the creator intended you to be, it's never going to happen.

    On a personal note, I can't sleep a wink unless it's pitch dark in the room. Remember, with the lights out, it's less dangerous.
    This is by the way one of my favourite topics. Looking forward to discuss it with you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ mK

    The depth of your thought scares me...

    @ Kondy

    Even I fear dark, but I still can't sleep unless it's pitch dark..just like mK. Darkness fascinates me. It is is the absence of everything but still contains so much in it.
    You don't fear it, you are just over fascinated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So you bloggofied that night's bakar session ! ! !
    I'd say people tend to think too much in dark: a spoon-fall on a floor in the dark room by your side may steal a moment's peace from your dark-fearing mind. What could it be? Ghost? Or some mouse which is ready to jump on you, or something?
    Just the tiniest of stimuli in our dark rooms, just a fall here, a knock there, and we think of things that might be going on against us: as if nature conspires something deadly against us i the dark!
    This is the fear of dark.

    (Not only the physical stimuli, some people feel 'negative' in the dark---> perhaps the age-old metaphorisations of 'darkness' are etched a tad too deep in their minds.)

    When I was a child, I used to think that a floating head stares at me in the dark. Everything that used to shine a bit in the tiny corner of my glances: window pane, or, the flourescence effect clock-needles, used to make me feel I am seeing the teeth of that cut head!
    Pure negative!

    Dark IS soothing. It has to be.
    I switch off the lights, and that IS the time, when I lose my right to be twined in with my daily thoughts and conflicts.
    I switch off the lights, and I am suddenly so much more with myself.
    I switch off my lights, and lights to a different world get switched on.

    This just my view, your wonderful description made me feel like putting out here!
    V-O-I-L-A !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thought provoking post indeed....and i reply whie listening the song u quote...i think these peole wrote on such topics as death ,fear etc as they basically wanted u to show the irony of you enjoying and head banging to ur fears.genius work indeed.
    in this domain,the way prison break ends also gives one food for thought.
    and most importantly,DONT U SLEEP WITH UR EYES OPEN???

    ReplyDelete
  9. and i think there is no reason for u to be so surprised about the existence of calgynephobia.....i opine it is the third most widespread phobia, after death and darkness, of course. just that people are too afraid/ shy to admit it dosent disprove its omnipresence (jetty 4 eg)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My holidays prove busier than the sem!

    @ The Lord,

    That's one place where I have never agreed with Cobain. On an ideal day, I'd let myself slip into sweet nothingness at twilight, lest I face complete blackness.

    @ Dang,

    Fascination is the beginning of fear.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Dang's '@ mk'

    :)

    @ Shubham,

    True. Maybe it must be that way. Dim lights get me all thoughtful; darkness simply blocks everything out. And blocking out all thoughts is rather unnerving.

    @ Pisrakhilesh,

    Totally agree with teh last line! And about the eyes open, well, maybe that's why I don't dream. I won't forget the usage of 'Caligynephobia' ever though, which finds its usage in one of the most nonchalant but prolific conversation openers.

    ReplyDelete