Friday 11 December 2009

Dispor(i)ted

Arun's status message on FB (paraphrased): "Our life is like a fraction; The numerator being what we are... And the denominator being what we want to be." Do your arithmetic.

My wing emptied itself out today, leaving Yours Truly as the sole company for dear ole Pink-punk. The cold wind blows through the hollow corridors as I find emptiness within...

While my neighbour pines for company, I must tell you I'm enjoying it. Simple astrology would tell you that it is but an expected trait of a Virgin, not because they are loners but because it gives time to reflect. To ponder. And it was during one of these bouts, in the afternoon, when I began to wonder about that 'Denominator', in my life. A rather disheartening picture crept up, with life tending to null and void. Feeling rather dispirited already, I walked out of S-7's safety into the open second-floor corridor... That was when it hit me. The reason why I was, all of a sudden, thinking about life as a fraction hit me hard. It was the same reason why my corridor is all but empty.

I am, generally, rather content with my routine, my achievements (whatever measly total they amount to) and my goals. But come December, I start feeling that vacuum again. Last year's Chennai and this year's Kanpur leave me estranged. The answer's cold hand slaps me across the face. This happens to be just the tip of a massive iceberg.

When I was in the fifth grade, I was introduced to the world of Classical music. I barely understood it then; I love it now, but without understanding. Then, in Standard Seven, I began to learn the keyboard and the 'Casio' entered my life. For three years it stayed; years when it would sing in harmony with my vocal chords. Incidentally, it was also Class VII when I began 'Tennis'. The coach liked me; 'vice-versa' not being applicable. Soon, I began Volleyball lessons in school. I wasn't nearly the best, but fast improving. I still boast of the one certificate I managed out of it in my résumé! I loved Cricket as a playing sport and I wouldn't be boasting if I said I was the best Batsman and Spinner within a few blocks' vicinity. Then.

It was when I began Volleyball, that I gave up on the tennis coaching. And then weirdly enough, I dropped Volleyball as it bored me! The Casio stopped singing to my fingers' dance almost in sync with my larynx's reluctance to produce melody. It was Standard X. Cricket lived on in my blood. Football grew on me. Then, I reached IITR. They both hit 'Pause'.

You realize the pain of failure when your denominator is so large. When you dream of doing great things, each setback is like a spear through the heart. Worse, however, is the pain of not being able to fail! Just because you gave up too early. I still can sketch brilliantly (can't say the same about painting) but I don't. I can sing. I don't. I could relearn the keyboard. I won't. Tennis exited my life early, though I'd have loved to go on. I almost made NSO with 'Volleyball'. I simply never visited the courts again! Life seems to have sapped me of Cricket. It all seems late now. I have a long way to go in order to become finite once more. All I do is crib. And write.

27 comments:

  1. If it is mathematics you want to speak in, I have a surprise/shock for you. The numerator and the denominator are both complex quantities. So fret not. You can never quite compare the two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Decent paraphrasing of the original one but it's somewhat not clearly comprehensible. That's where your post comes to rescue. It's a variable function this denominator, having large fluctuating values when we are kids and stabilizing to small constant values as we grow up. Nicely put up Kondy.

    PS: Thanks for hyper linking. ;)
    PPS: The original one was yet another quote of Tolstoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just for the sake of some mathematical analysis ( I'm getting good at it every passing semester), the fractions close to one amount to extremely boring people. Perfect in a sense, but prosaic people who are more lifeless than the dead. At least you are lively enough to hang around with, while you also maintain an impressive ratio. Quite optimum, isn't it ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Rapster,

    I was simply trying make the (n/d) thing finite, da. And you say 'n' and 'd' cannot be compared? Oh well, maybe Mathematical similies aren't such a good idea after all!

    @ Arun,

    Thank you (for the quote) I understand it is normal for this denominator to shrink... But me thinks, the larger the denominator is - the faster the numerator grows! After all, it's only what's above that counts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anirudh.. that's the beauty of life. You have to have the denominator so big so as to yearn, rather crave, to reach a perfect 1. And the fact remains that the gap between the two might seem to be really large, but look at it from another person's perspective, say your life through me, and you shall know how NOT skewed the ratio is!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Dang,

    Exactly what I was thinking... Since you are getting good at the Math stuff, lets just say this is a sine wave with nodes at the two ends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ PPT,

    Thanks, but the fact remains that only you know what you are missing out in life; not someone else! Like what mK says in his last post, at some level, you feel guilty for not being able to satisfy everyone's hopes and dreams for you...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I quote-"the larger the denominator is, the faster the numerator grows". Seriously?
    Being over-ambitious hasn't always been considered to be good, is it?
    What is called for is to define your limitation of the numerator and then, decide upon a denominator to 'balance' out things(Not a perfect 1, obviously)
    Once failure strikes, its hard for the numerator to grow at the same pace, however high the denominator is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Jetty,

    As Adidas says, "Impossible is nothing". Every failure is worth it, da... Ask me some time; I'll tell you some very interesting bitter-sweet tales.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you believe company taglines, yes, then "life's (not always) good". ;)
    Nevertheless, not everyone is optimistic enough to take a failure in the right sense. Talk of suicides.

    ReplyDelete
  11. W.T.B.F ?
    This post made no sense to me whatsoever!
    And the comments too, I must add.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Jetty,

    I never said I believe in all company taglines da... Just quoted one which I believe in. And I speak for myself, not the masses.

    @ mK,

    w.t.b.f.w? The mathematics are pretty obvious... The only reason why one wouldn't understand this is probably because they are approaching 'Ace'.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I guess your numerator is greater than your denominator right now, thanks to a term in the latter called 'subtracted'.

    Low blow! (All puns intended.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ Murty (ignoring all the puns - half of which don't make sense)

    No terms are ever subtracted; they're merely modified. I wonder what that'd make my fraction?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Far too many nerd jokes flashed through my mind as I read the post. But then I remembered my Decembers in Roorkee and I thought I'd give it a rest. I'll just say I hope you never divide by zero. Damn- just couldn't resist it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @ Bang-Bang,

    Hehe! Good one... Let's just say that even if I tried, I wouldn't be indeterminate!

    ReplyDelete
  17. There's a girl here who's numerator is much smaller than her larger than pleasant denominator. So yes, I agree. Not a pleasant sight.
    You really start appreciating winters in Rke, or in any place where the temperature drops to a respectable degree, when you're in a place where it just doesn't get cold. Damn, I miss the fog.

    ReplyDelete
  18. @ Lefty,

    I can visualize the situation quite well... Well, we mustn't 'become' so small.

    And yes, the Winter is one of the reasons why I still respect my 'To-Roorkee' decision!

    ReplyDelete
  19. 19 Comments, It's a vela vela world indeed. And now it's 20. Never thought you could play cricket.

    On a serious note, I'm starting to compare roorkee more and more with the matrix by the day! Need to blog about this.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amidst the usual velapanti, when I first read the post a couple of days back, I felt the ratio would be most suitably measured as a function of the ratio of the area around the peak of a gaussian curve to the whole thing. The numerator would be some error function integral in fact. But WTH, calculating erf integrals is rather painful, and as kanakkithodi points out, it makes no sense to compute it every now and then :P

    ReplyDelete
  21. @ Shreyas,

    Yes, I know! And baster, I can play good Cricket... I just don't.

    About the Matrix, hmm, now where have I heard that before?!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Some of the most useful tools of mathematics are born out of sheer innovation and creativity. John Nash created game theory out of sheer boredom, and he now boasts of a Nobel prize. Obama did nothing and still got one for peace. Telling you my friend, with your philosophy and my Mathematics, we can go places... Mix 'Ratio of life' with little relativistic economics and we've got an unbeatable combo. I can see people staring at us when we stand together and a mother telling her little son - ' Here goes Dang the awesome with that man with a triangular face'

    ReplyDelete
  23. @ Dang
    Brilliant!

    @ Raghav
    No, that's not what Kanakkithodi said, in fact, he was expressing his sheer helplessness in making head or tail of what is going on here! And your comment.. was it supposed to help make this any better?

    And Kondy, the comments juggernaut keeps rolling, with the end nowhere in sight. Better make a comment which will silence the guts of all the readers, or in the future, post stuff that makes some sense!

    ReplyDelete
  24. @ Dang,

    Lol, seriously man... It's time we did something about it!'Relativistic Ratios' is the next big thing!

    @ mK,

    Chill, da... I never thought you'd get it. You need a full mind for that. Not some microscopic fraction which is not wondering about Wedding-Girls!
    If people who didn't understand didn't make two comments, maybe the list wouldn't be so long!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks like the mid life crisis is hitting some of us a bit earlier. Try a splendid pie. Pizza pizza pie. Every minute, every second, try, try, try, try, try.

    ReplyDelete