Friday 18 December 2009

Winter Rank

Christmas break is around the corner again. New year parties, albeit beguiling with great promise, as usual, will be missed out on, yet again, by us R-fools who, so desperately, rush back so as to save up on an extra-form and a few hundred bucks! I can almost see those stars and bells hung on every other household's front balcony. 2009 has behaved well and deserves a pat on the back. Holiday FB activity, as you normally expect, is on a high. Blogs are overflowing, again. Then what's different, one may ask. Well, a few things to say the least.

For starters, its been a while since we have managed to retain the lead on the top of the table at the break. My fingers are crossed. More importantly, I'm still stuck here in R, wondering when I'll get back home, reunited with Rasam, Dosais and Appalam. This winter has started off weirdly, to put things lightly. Nevertheless, Winter remains my favourite season of the year, ever since I was introduced to the concept two years ago. Here are five things which never change - things I'll always love about winter.

(1) The Fog: It delays flights, alright. But its one of the things I look forward to. The sheet of white takes me all the way back to my Scooby Doo days. At the stroke of half-beyond-six, bro, I and a handful of munchables used to plonk ourselves in front of the Tele singing for 'Scooby Dooby Doo - Where Are You?' There were times when Shaggy would take out a knife and cut a hole in the fog. The great mist takes me back to those days!

(2) The Girls: While 'Kingfisher's Swimsuit Model of the Year' contest will have you disagree strongly with my opinion, I remain constant. Winter is the best time for Girl-watching. The fairer gender turn all the more fair and the glowing cheeks make the wait worthwhile. Well, some might try chastising me with a reminder about the place we dwell in. Well, all observations are relative and after all, the multiplexes are just a bus-ride away. Yes, Girls definitely make Winter worthwhile.

(3) The Baths: These are privileges which come at a premium, few and far between, but remain one of the glorious aspects of Winter. While the icy air looms ominously as a powerful impediment, the hot steaming water transports you to warmer climes. You splash yourself and lo! - the perfect combination of Yin and Yang; much like fried ice-cream! The best part, however, remains the smoke emanating from the pores of your epidermis - when you resemble a sizzling brownie.

(4) The Coffee: Caffeine is a killer. While most people intoxicated by the roasted beans strongly detest Tea, or vice versa, my preferences aren't that strong. Nevertheless, I've never for once thought that the gentle leaves of the slopes could ever match the zing of the power-packed berries of the coffee shrubs. And come Winter, it's effect becomes all the more profound. I would bear sub-zero just for the coffee!

(5) The Sleep: While it would be sacrilegious and profane to speak (4) and (5) in the same breath, such are the funny ways of Father Frost. The weight of a heavy blanket, a broken alarm clock and a cunningly cold Sunday morning can combine in ways which would put every other pleasure to shame! The sweet arms of Morpheus are never this kind!

16 comments:

  1. Very,very true.....one thing that used to ruin winters in school days for me apart from school itself was that a major chunk of december was eaten away by shitty xams.Now that horror is dead.Ur post shall go a major way in making people realise the probably multiple meanings behind Shelly's immortal line.If winter comes,can spring be far behind.SIGH!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gee! I have fallen in love with winter all over again!
    Thank you, thank you!

    PS: I love the Yin and Yang reference!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try taking a bath in freezing cold water at 5 in the morning, two weeks from now. I haven't done it, but people who have tell me it's an ethereal feeling of sublime bliss you can go searching for the world over, and return back to your bathroom to find it!
    Your list is just fine, apart from the fog- it's quite scary to walk or drive down the road with no knowledge of what or who is around you. The days have to be cut short by a couple of hours on both ends, as a result.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Agree
    2. Disagree. I have harboured a Latina fetish for as long as I can remember. Call it a Southie thing, but I like chicks nice and brown.
    3. Agree
    4. Agree
    5. Strongly agree

    Why in the holy name of Ibu Hatela has this post been labelled Chel$ki, though?

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me, another terrific thing about winter is the winter sunshine. Nothing beats lying around in the sun on a winter morning.
    For the first time in my life, I'm spending winter in a place which doesn't get cold. And I hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amogh summed up his version of Mumbai's winter to me with these acknowledging words - 'So the legends were true. Northis do have a separate set of clothes for winters.' That was the worst impression he could have given me of his city. I can live with slums near my neighborhood, with traffic crawling at speeds less than we walk at or in a city where humanity is condensed to the extent it starts comparing with a ghetto. But I can't live in a place which doesn't understand the meaning of winters.

    Winters brings with it joy all around, and you can smell it in the air as long as the season persist.

    And agree with you over all the points. Especially 2nd and 5th.

    ReplyDelete
  7. almost the same as deele, except 5. is very very strongly.
    and had the same doubt as him, didnt raise it earlier cuz it might have sounded weird from me! :P (i quite thought i was missing something! )

    ReplyDelete
  8. On 2, I guess the reason is that you forgive them for wearing the same clothes (the ones you see, at least) more than once a week, and taking advantage of that fact, they choose the most attractive ones. Nailed this theory long long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Winter here has snow, rain, slush, no sun, my cooking and coffee to live on, and days starting from 8.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ PiSRa,
    Totally agree on the examination bit; though the exams I have faced in the month of December can be termed 'technically Winter' at best, with temperatures around the 27 mark.

    @ PPT,
    Yeah... I wanted to add more Chocolate to the post though!

    @ mK,
    Walking without knowing what you're headed into is one of the joys of life... After all, given the option, you wouldn't peer into your future, would you?
    As for the 'ethereal feeling of sublime bliss', it's a euphemism - for 'near death experience'.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Dela,
    (2) is one of the postulates I most strongly believe in. It's something difficult to explain da... And I don't think it's about skin-tone. As for the 'Chelsea' tag, try Leaders at Christmas.

    @ Raghav,
    True. A heavy blanket and you won't be sitting here like me, replying to comments, at 3 AM!

    @ Murtha,
    Perhaps. A lot of thought seems to have gone into this. Onya. I agree with you far more than I do with Dela or Shaghav...

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ Rapster,
    Yeah. Guess I mean nice, 'warm', temperate Winters like this; not your frikkin blizzards! Snow, slush and No Sun places make good tourist spots; not residential destinations.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ Lefty,
    Yeah. No-winter to Winter works. I'm not sure about the other way around. And about Winter-sunshine, poor ol' Rapu!

    @ Dang,
    Lol! You'll go on about your rants here too eh? And (2) and (5) remain the talking points of the day, it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello...how's Roorkee? And you still wearing that weird thing on your face?
    Anyway...coming to the point...
    1.I love it when I can see my breath!(And pretend I am smoking!:P)
    2.I would not know anything about that.
    @Della,Murthy n you: Oh My Gawwd! I will never understand guys. Sadly, guys are never worth worth a watch.
    3.They are always an exercise to get over with as quickly as possible! And to even think about it, each day, takes a lot of courage!
    4.Oh Yes! I do NOT even need winters for that!
    5.I'm dozing off again...So long!

    ReplyDelete
  16. @ Prachi,
    I'm in R, no more! And the thing has grown into something else now :)
    As for comment #2, you wouldn't, really! And FYI, it's not us who are difficult to comprehend; It's you.
    I agree with all, save 3.

    ReplyDelete